VMware Cloud Community
hannes64
Contributor
Contributor

The VMotion failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over VMotion network site

Hello together,

we setup a vShere infrastructure with 4 DL380G6 and a VLAN concept, when I try migrate a machine to a other Host I get following Error

The VMotion failed because the ESX hosts were not able to connect over VMotion network sitePlease check your VMotion network settings and physical network configuration.

This I did allready without any success!

Do anyone have a Idee?

Thanks for your answers

Hannes

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Could you maybe attach a screen shot showing the virtual switch.

Also, what happens when you run a vmkping command from the first esx server console to the vmkernel ip address on the second?

vmkping 192.168.0.1

Thanks,

Dan

krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please verfify, that you Network config is on both ESX hosts the same.

Ans also try a vmkping as written before!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
hannes64
Contributor
Contributor

Also @ a2alpha, no VMKPING is not working, the virtual switches are excat setup on all 4 machines!

I have ask our Networkmen to take a look at the physical switches again

VMKPING is also not working to ping the console of a other Server

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

If vmkping isn't working then it means there is a problem with the way that the vmkernel port is setup. This is what esx uses for vmotion traffic so likly to be your problem. Each esx server's vmkernel port group should have a unique ip address set up and this is different to the service console ip address. If they do, are they on a different network / vlan to your service console. If not, can you do a normal ping to any of those ips, as I said if you could send a screen shot of it I may notice something.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
hannes64
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan,

hope you can see anything on the Screens

Thanks

Hannes

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Ok, so you use VLAN 54 for vmotion traffic. Are the physical switch ports where vmnic 0 and 5 plug into set to allow vlan tagged traffic through?

Can you put another machine on the 54 vlan and ping them.

Also just as a test, take the vlan tag off and see if it works then.

Dan

0 Kudos
hannes64
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dan,

I checked with our Network Guy again the settings on the Switch side everything fine there. I Spot a bigger problem from one of my Servers, I shut it down and crashed some VM's and what should I tell you, after the Host was down VMotion was working again!

It's for me a Mirikale I will set up the Host brend new now.

Thanks for your help

Hannes

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Excellent, glad its working for you, hope the new servers all right,

Dan

0 Kudos