VMware Cloud Community
MatthewEvans
Contributor
Contributor

The Parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created.

I am having the same problem, but I have two errors. I am not sure what happened (relatively new to VMware). One weekend I got a call from a user saying that the VM was down. This is the error I got.

"The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child

Cannot open the disk 'Z:\Timor Originals\Windows 7-000055.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on."

"The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child

Cannot open the disk 'Z:\Timor Originals\Windows 7-disk2-000056.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module Disk power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine."

I am not sure how to fix this or even how it was broken. Can someone look at these files (I hope I have the right ones) and tell me what happened or suggest a fix? If you need more files please let me know.

37 Replies
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

That's correct. I can run the VM but can't copy. I did shutdown the VM first then copied. 🙂 Seemed like that's the only file did not get copied. If I press "Skip" button on the popup message, it will finished the copy process.

I have a Workstation Pro with Windows 7. 🙂

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Seemed like that's the only file did not get copied.

Thats not good - then it probably is the best to try option 2.

Have you checked your C: partition with checkdisk yet ?

If not - run chkdsk /F /R /V /X C:

this will require a reboot.

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli,

I tried both checkdisk for the host and guest systems. The "Can't read from the source file or disk" error still exits. Worse yet, the chain broke again. Please find the txt file, I'd appreciate very much if you could build me a dsfi.cmd and fix-parent.bin one more time? I'm not sure if I can use the ones you built earlier.

Thank you,

Lisa

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I only did chkdsk /F for the file that can't be copied.

When I did chkdsk /F /R /V /X C:, at 14% of stage 4 of 5 it came up another error message, see attached.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Running checkdisk inside the guest was not what I suggested - and it was a bad idea.

Please do not use docs to post screenshots - just attach the screenshots themselves.

I could not read any of your last 2 attachments.

What I really need is  your vmware.logs !

> 2. add another virtual disk and boot the VM with a Linux LiveCD and copy disk to disk with ddrescue.

Thats your best option.

Ulli

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. It wasn't you I know. I just finished the chkdsk /F /R /V /X on the host. It replaced a lot of bad clusters. Now I'm able to copy and paste that file. But the parent children chain is still broken. Let me resend you the filelist and txt files. Thank you

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> But the parent children chain is still broken.

Did you try to go to another snapshot ?

Did you try to use the basedisk alone ?

I want to see your latest vmware.log files !

Ulli

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the basedisk alone is working. Not other children. None of the other snapshots is working.

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mind I Skype you later in 2 hours? I've attached the filelist.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Yes, the basedisk alone is working. Not other children. None of the other snapshots is working.

DO NOT USE THE BASEDISK DIRECTLY.
That is why your snapshots no longer work !!!!!!

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Ulli,

Thanks for your help. I've attached the latest 2 log files and txt files.

Have a good weekend,

Lisa

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

hi

Lisa - what are you doing ?

you really need  a lesson in "safe use of snapshots"

same mistake again I believe - you used the basedisk alone

run the dsfi.cmd with the fix*.binfile again

it should work again

but you really need to understand that your actions will sooner or later destroy your VM

not kidding - serious warning

apparently YOU are your vms worst enemy
ranting2.gif

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

What I have done is unforgivable. I need to take a lesson in "safe use of snapshot" as you said. It did not work this time. When I switched to other snapshots, it created new 000014.vmdk files. Still had error not able to go. Thank you.

0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ulli,

I re downloaded the dsfi.cmd and fix-parent from the case history and run dsfi.cmd again. It worked this time. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience and I appreciate so much for your help. I'm not touching it anymore.

Wish you all the best and God bless you!

Lisa

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Lisa - if you come again with the same error I will help again - but not before you listened to half an hour of my music.
Prepare yourself ...Smiley Wink

Ulli

0 Kudos
EfiVg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue... I have updated my kali and then it happened. I even tried to use a snapshot from 2016 but I get the same error

Can you please assist me? I have attached the rar with all the bins

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That doesn't seem to be "the same issue". In your case it looks like the base disk has been resized/expanded without first deleting/consolidating the snapshots.

Please explain what exactly you did so far (e.g. how you did resize the virtual disk, whether you already changed the guest partitions, ...).

Do you have a recent backup?

André

Additional note: Please open a new discussion, rather than replying to old discussions. This way you will get more attention.

0 Kudos
EfiVg
Contributor
Contributor

Updated Kali ($ sudo apt update and $ sudo apt upgrade). Maybe the host froze during that time? I can't remember.

I tried go back to a snapshot capured in 2016 but I get the same error (now with another file)

No backup as the content isn't important excpet 1-2 scripts I can re-create.

0 Kudos