VMware Cloud Community
Jfigueroa2
Contributor
Contributor

The Mint virtual machine could not be turned on. This host is not compatible with Intel VT-x. Click

I have virtualization enabled in the bios, disable the vmware workstation configuration since it does not let me turn it on if it is activated and when I enter and want to start a virtual machine in esxi I get the error: The Mint virtual machine could not be turned on. This host is not compatible with Intel VT-x. Click here to obtain more information.
How do I solve it? I am using vmware workstation pro 16

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So a nested setup, where you’re trying to run Mint in an ESXi VM, where you have ESXi running in a Workstation VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Jfigueroa2
Contributor
Contributor

yes, it is a nested virtualization, I am running Mint on an Esxi and Esxi is running on a workstation pro 16 ...

0 Kudos
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did you set up the nested ESXi in workstation? Did you do the installation from scratch or did you use a preconfigured appliance?

Jfigueroa2
Contributor
Contributor

I installed vmware workstation pro 16, and I made a virtual machine for esxi and when I wanted to add a virtual machine (linuxmint) in the esxi it did not let me because it told me that it had a VTX error.
How can I solve it?

0 Kudos
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By default, you can only run 32-bit virtual machines in a nested ESXi. If you need to run 64-bit virtual machines, you will need to modify the .vmx file of the nested ESXi machine.

If you are using an i3 or later processor (that is, you do not have a Core 2 Duo), you can enable nested Virtualization Technology (VT). This allows you to run 64-bit virtual machines within the nested ESXi. To enable nested VT you will need to add the line below to the .vmx file of the ESXi virtual machine:

vhv.enable = "TRUE"

FYI: I have only tried this on ESXi 5.x & 6.x. I'm not sure if it applies to 7.x. Whenever I have to deploy ESXi 7.x in a virtual machine (Nested), I just download one of William Lam's appliances and deploy it to workstation. It saves me a lot of time. Here's the link to it if you're interested.