VMware Cloud Community
Raju2017
Contributor
Contributor

The ESXi host is not responding state

unable to connect /Add the ESXi host to vCenter server. Get error the "cannot contact the specified host. The host may not be available On the network, a network configuration problem may exist, or the management services on this host may not be responding.

error stack: " call "Datacenter. QueryConnectionInfo" for object "Deployment-DataCenter" on vCenter Server failed.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

So, is the ESXi host online and manageable?

Can you log in to it?

What version of vCenter and ESXi?

Have you restarted the management agent on the ESXi host and tried again?

Anything additional in vpxd.log on vCenter Server?

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
Raju2017
Contributor
Contributor

I have restarted the management agents, I am able to ping the ESXi host and vSphere Client.Also I could telnet to ESXi port 902.

the versions are as given below,

ESXi 5.0.0 build 474610

vSphere Client version 5.5.0 build 1281650

the ESXi host can be accessed using SSH & console.

vPXA.log:

VpxHalCnxHost agent: creating temporary connect spec: local host:443

32C4DB90 error 'HttpConnectionPool] Connect error connection refused by peer.

failed to discover version: vim.fault.HttpFault

Couldnot resolve version for authenticating to host agent.

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

Hi Raju2017,

Can you post your vCenter version and build?

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

It looks you have already done the initial investigation and troubleshooting so i will let you know the final steps which you can take.

1). Run the below command from SSH of ESXi.

#services.sh restart

It will restart all services on the ESXi host. Do not worry, it will not impact any VMs running on it.

2). It above steps do not solve your query.

Then it might be an APD (All Path Down) situation which is not yet resolved by Vmware and they always recommend you to upgrade the ESXi version.

Thanks.

For more visit vmwarediary.com or vmwarediary.in

0 Kudos
Raju2017
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  Jitu211003 ,

i have tried restarting as well, but did not work.

even I am able to ping, SSH, Telnet successfully,

but i I still see the same error.

thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Raju,

It seems be your hostd agent might not function properly.This might due to several reason

1.Issue with underlying storage

2.Hostd Might crashed due to memory pressure.

Analyse the hostd,vmkerenl log in var log path.One solution would be rebooting the host,if it is production try to migrate the VM to different host(most cases won't work) get the downtime and reboot the host.

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Investigate the below things.

1) ESXi and Vcenter should listen on port 902, 80,443.

2). ESXi SSH should ping Vcenter by its name.

3). Check whether you have recently updated the windows where Vcenter is installed. Check the Microsoft Patch.

4) Check any changes in Network or VM infra.

5). If still issue persist, just attach the ESXi iso and upgrade it. Here upgrade means, insert the same version ESXi ISO and when you are prompted to choose fresh or upgrade, select upgrade.

after finishing the setup, you wont have any changes on ESXi. This will just replace all ESXi core files.

Hope this will fix your issue.

0 Kudos
Raju2017
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dee006,

restrated host already, it looks the hostd looks fine.

but the issue persists, tried removing host from center as well, when try to add host get the same error.

please let me know any command to check for storage from ESXi, assuming storage looks fine in storage array, just to confirm from ESxI host.

thanks

0 Kudos
Raju2017
Contributor
Contributor

Jitu211003,

I am able to telnet to port 902 from vCenter server to esxihost, but unable to telnet to 443,80 ports.

but I saw the port 443 in vpxa.cfg file. Please let me know how to add the ports

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You need to check with your network team to enable the firewall rule for it or ask them to match the firewall rule from other ESXi host and Vcenter.

Hope, IP was not changed on this ESXi host as the rule consist the source and destination IP and ports to allow.

Match the result from any other working ESXi host on same Vcenter.

You can give me remote if you want me to have a look if you are ok with it.

0 Kudos