VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Testing on Nested ESXi Hosts

I am using the virtualized esxi host when i am trying to modify anything in the vswitch0 then my host get disconnected from the vCenter server and it is showing the status (Not reachable). Is there anyone who can tell me the solution?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
12 Replies
GaneshNetworks

What modification are you doing in vSwitch0?

Is your service console port group configured on vSwitch0?

What status you are seeing in the inventory panel either "Not Reachable" or "Not Responding"?

If possible, upload the host logs.

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i am talking about esxi so the service console is not a issue. But in my case i am trying to add one more uplink to my vSwitch. Then it is showing NOT REACHABLE status.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Ranjna wrote:

i am talking about esxi so the service console is not a issue. But in my case i am trying to add one more uplink to my vSwitch. Then it is showing NOT REACHABLE status.

Most likely the Vmkernel Managment portgroup is on this vSwitch and the new uplink you add is not correctly configured (same network connectivity). When you add the new uplink the Port ID connections are remapped and the Vmkernel managment port is placed onto the new, but not functional, vmnic.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am getting this problem on Virtual esxi host.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Ranjna wrote:

I am getting this problem on Virtual esxi host.

Yes. You do have the Vmkernel Management on this vSwitch that you add uplinks to and then lose the connection?

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Please check if the management Vmkernel port is on the same switch, also check if the NIC that you are trying to add is seeing some different network, if both of the above are true then there is a possibility of the host not responding. After adding the NIC are you able to ping the host

Regards

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

means???

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hi,

It means that if the UPLINK NIC that you are adding to the vSwitch0 doesn't have connectivity to the  Network or has connectivity but to a different  Network, in this case when you connect it to the switch there are chances that VMkernel Virtual NIC/interface might start using this new NIC for Communication and hence causing problem.

Regards

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check if the NIC which you are trying to add observe the same network(IP range) as the other NIC you can check this from configuration -> Network Adapter

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My all Nic's are on the same network. I am using an ESXi5 host on the another ESXi5 Host then i am getting this issue

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Please attach a screenshot of the network configuration of the first ESXi host and the same from the nested ESXi host.

0 Kudos
Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Can you please check if that the host is pingable when you add the NIC, if not check directly the console of the host are you able to login? or that too has freezed.

Regards

0 Kudos