VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Test lab build

Hello,

I currently have a VMware ESXi 5.1 server at home with an Intel Core i7-3770S (65 watts) processor with dual NICs.  The server runs at 28 watts idle (2 ssd drives) which is very efficient (24/7 machine).  I also have access to iSCSi, NFS, etc.

I am planning to add a second host to do more testing and learn before I break stuff at work.  I am looking at two options.  To build another host exactly like the current machine or go with two additional NUC machines for a smaller footprint.

Are there limitations as far as having one NIC on a host?  Any other stuff I should be aware of?  I did read online before posting :).

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If solely used for a lab environment there are no issues with using a single NIC - I think the challenges you will face is if ESXi 5 will have the drivers to support the hardware in the NUC - I would build an identical machine to whta you already have - this way you will be able to test with all features of vSphere including vMotion and DRS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If solely used for a lab environment there are no issues with using a single NIC - I think the challenges you will face is if ESXi 5 will have the drivers to support the hardware in the NUC - I would build an identical machine to whta you already have - this way you will be able to test with all features of vSphere including vMotion and DRS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I remember years ago (5+) when I built a test lab, the CPU was an important part for vMotion (same manufacturer, etc as I recall).

0 Kudos