VMware Cloud Community
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Template issue

Could you please help me to understand at what point you guys would like to save the VM after Sysprep for template .

if i shutdown the VM after sysprep and convert that VM into template then any VM is created from that template install devices ,services and many more things.. is this normal or correct way to create template ? 

if i reboot the VM after sysprep then at what point i can save the VM for template as i need to save vm before getting login screen and it does not give me any save point or gracefully shutdown option.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks in advance .. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

this need more testing and not recommended for production vms.

after running sysprep in vm power off VM after first reboot.

convert to template.

deploy couple of vms and then it should be continuing the sysprep process.

check the SID of new systems it should not be same else you would have problem after joining system to domain.

customization specification manager is there to make life easier.

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/

View solution in original post

9 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what is the Guest OS?

if you are deploy windows 2008 or later its normal that it detect new hardware, install drivers.

To create template -

1. create new vm

2. install OS

3. install VMware tools

4. install any other required basic software's

5. power off vm.

6. convert it to Template

Deploy VM from Template

- After deploying vm from template you can power on vm and run sysprep

or

- you can use Customization specification manager for doing sysprep and making change like new vm server name, ip address.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why not let vCenetr run the sysprep for you - build the machine to your specification - confert it to template and when you deploy the template you will be able to run sysprepp =

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am using win 2008 R2 OS for the template. I need to follow the instructions  to install sysprep before converting VM into template.

Q : if i shutdown the VM after sysprep and convert that VM into template then any VM is created from that template install devices ,services and many more things ?

But in this case as you guys said above  its normal to detect devices install devices , run services and many more thing for every new vm we create from template . is this good ?

Q : if i reboot the VM after sysprep then at what point i can save the VM for template as i need to save vm before getting login screen and it does not give me any save point or gracefully shutdown option.?

In this case if i follow this way then at what point i can save  vm before getting login screen and it does not give me any save point or gracefully shutdown option ?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

while creating template no need to run sysprep in vm and shutdown it at some point as you are trying.

just create new vm/existing working vm, install vm tools, install any other required software's which you need, shutdown it and convert it to template.

then while deploying new vms from this template you can use customization specification manager for doing sysprep or after new VM Power on you can manually run sysprep.

Note - sysprep tool is available by default in windows 2008 R2 OS.

gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know the procedure you explained but i need to follow the instructions .. i really need to know does it work if run the sysprep while creating template and save at some point after root or just shutdown after sysprep . i know the sysprep can find in window/system32/sysprep.  

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

well, that would not be a best practice to create template to deploy new vms.

gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your Prompt response .. i appreciate it  But  i really need to know does it work if run the sysprep while creating template and save at some point after root or just shutdown after sysprep .

how to shutdown vm gracefully after sysprep reboot before getting logon screen .. ?? if i don't shutdown gracefully after sysprep reboot  then safe mode , command prompt window comes when i create vm from template.

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

this need more testing and not recommended for production vms.

after running sysprep in vm power off VM after first reboot.

convert to template.

deploy couple of vms and then it should be continuing the sysprep process.

check the SID of new systems it should not be same else you would have problem after joining system to domain.

customization specification manager is there to make life easier.

Thanks,

Haridas

gaganvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your prompt and excellent response. It helped me a lot.

0 Kudos