VMware Cloud Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Template: Delete from Disk

Dear All,

I have an old template and I want to delete it from disk. It asked me if I'm sure to delete it and all associated files. I believe there are no associated files with the template, but I want to make sure. How can I check best, if there are no associates files.

Thanks

Edy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

all associate files are the disks that are added to the template in question. You should be safe to delete from disk. However, delete from disk is just that, it's gone forever.

FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Edy,

"Associated files" means all the files that form the virtual machine: vmx, vmdk, ... To be sure, transform it back to a normal virtual machine, have a look at the virtual disks it is attached to, the folder in which it is stored; etc. You can also have a look inside the VMXF file.

When you are sure those files are not needed anymore, delete the virtual machine.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the input.

I will convert back the template to a virtual machine to see the files.

Just for the sake of my understanding, when I deploy a new virtual machine from a template, it will create an independent VM with its own files in the datastore and an own subfolder named after the VM? This would mean it is always save to delete a template.

My understanding was until now deployed VMs based on a template are associated to the template and share some files.

Thanks

Edy

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Edy,

A VM deployed from a template doesn't keep any link to its "parent". It shares absolutely nothing with the original model. All files that make the VM are duplicated or generated specifically for it and once deployed, you can get rid of the template with no fear.

Franck

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Franck for the clarity.

0 Kudos