ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Tech support mode

Posted Dec 10, 2011 04:21 AM

hello everyone,

i am trying to set vhv.allow=true,

upto my knowledge best,it can be done after enabling the tech support mode

search for some video but tutorials describe for esxi 4.1 to enable the tech support mode,different from esxi 5

so pls help

how to enable tech support mode in esxi 5

thanks

• 2.  RE: Tech support mode

Posted Dec 10, 2011 04:42 AM

It's a similar process to ESXi 4, but the names have changed.  kb.vmware.com/kb/1017910

In the DCUI, go to Troubleshooting Options and enable either ESXi Shell (Local Tech Support Mode) or SSH (Remote Tech Support Mode).

You can also do this in the vSphere client - Configuration > Software > Security Profile and click the Properties for Services.  Then start ESXi Shell or SSH.

• 3.  RE: Tech support mode

Posted Dec 10, 2011 04:49 AM

thanks for your reply

i have already done the same thing

but in esxi 4.1,a black window come in to play after pressing f1,,,where u have to login with user name and password

pls tell me how to go to that black window after enabling shell,,more specifically how to add vhv.allow=true

thanks

• 4.  RE: Tech support mode

Posted Dec 10, 2011 05:10 AM

With both versions of ESXi you use ALT+F1 to get to the console.  ALT+F2 will get you back to the DCUI.

Once you've access the shell you can find the file to edit here - /etc/vmware/config.  You don't have to reboot after you change the file.

• 5.  RE: Tech support mode

Posted Dec 10, 2011 05:17 AM

hey thanks it really helps

i reached upto screen after pressing alt + f1

but still don't know how to edit that file,,,,keys r still not working on that black screen :smileysad:

pls help

• 6.  RE: Tech support mode
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 10, 2011 11:02 AM

To get the login prompt in the ALT-F1 screen, you first need to enable shell access in the DCUI as explained in the KB article Dave provided.

In short:

• Login to the DCUI pressing "F2"
    • select "Troubleshooting Options"
    • select "Enable ESXi Shell"

André