VMware Cloud Community
arshia1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Teaming and Failover for uplink port group on Distributed switch

Hi,

I have this problem with setting up a distributed switch, and I am sure I am missing something!

I have a couple hosts with 4 physical NICs each. On eash host I have configured 2 virtual switches (say A and B), with 2 physical nic per vSwitch in etherchannel mode. Everything works fine for etherchannel and Route Based on IP Hash for these.

Recently I decided to create two distributed switches, and move respective physical ports from virtual switches to this distributed switches. Again I want to configure etherchannel and route based on ip hash. But when I open settings for uplink port group, the policies for Teaming and Failover are greyed out and cannot be changed. They apparently inherit configuration from somewhere else but I do not know where!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vadood wrote:

Again I want to configure etherchannel and route based on ip hash. But when I open settings for uplink port group, the policies for Teaming and Failover are greyed out and cannot be changed. They apparently inherit configuration from somewhere else but I do not know where!

You will have to set the NIC teaming policies at the portgroups actually and not on the more expected uplink group.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vadood wrote:

Again I want to configure etherchannel and route based on ip hash. But when I open settings for uplink port group, the policies for Teaming and Failover are greyed out and cannot be changed. They apparently inherit configuration from somewhere else but I do not know where!

You will have to set the NIC teaming policies at the portgroups actually and not on the more expected uplink group.

0 Kudos
arshia1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for the comment, but I still think this does not make sense.

besides, if you create to port groups, you can set different teaming settings for different port groups, one of which will not work

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vadood wrote:

thank you for the comment, but I still think this does not make sense.

I agree that it does not feel right, but as far as I know this is where you set the NIC teaming policy on the distributed switches. For any other policy than IP Hash it should not matter if the portgroups has different teaming policies, but for IP Hash you really would have set it equal on all portgroups.

0 Kudos