VMware Cloud Community
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Task in Progress does not clear

A recent task called 'NetApp Storage Discovery is stuck on 'In progress' and will not clear. How do I go about clearing this task from the 'Recent Task' tab? This task is not running. The vsphere host was powered off during this task. The task has been displaying for two days.

19 Replies
dalemarshall
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get a fix for this? I've got the same issue. Restarting the service clears the errors but next time I hit update on the NetApp VSC tab I get the same tasks stuck in progress. I've taken a look ath the VSC.log but there's nothing obvious in there.

0 Kudos
nkbaumer
Contributor
Contributor

I want to bump this post because I'm getting the same problem and this is the only thread I have found in both VMware and NetApp communities.

I've just recently started using the NetApp VSC plugin (2.0.1 P1) and twice now I have done an Update to get a list of hung "in progress" tasks. I tried restarting the VSC service on the server where it's installed but it doesn't make a difference. I'm assuming that restarting the vSphere service will clear it out but I really don't want to be doing that every time this happens.

Thanks, Nick

EDIT: After poking around some more I found that if you update a second time it will kill the stale task. Now I just need to figure out why the same two hosts don't complete the scan to begin with.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if you have vcenter, try restart a service of vcenter . if not solve restart a services of host vmware

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
bhanupratapk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

check weather you can manually cancel the task on Host / vCenter side. If the task from the storage is completed or failed but still showing running @ esxi or vcenter you can cancel the task.

task.jpg

Regards,

Pratap Koonisetty

0 Kudos
krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you cannot cancel the task form the vCenter, You can cancel the task from vCenter MOB. https://vCenter_Name/mob/?moid=TaskManager

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

I was working on this case for one of my customer's with Netapp on conference.

vCenter version was 5.5 U3

Netapp VSC was 6.1

Netapp confirmed that there is a known issue with VSC 6.1 with an open bug for a patch release in future.

Quite not sure about older versions of VSC.

Restarting the vCenter service kills the task, but it initiates it again. In my case it was 6.30 AM

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
PFLux
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Suhas,

I am facing the exact same issue and the guys from NetApp asked me to open a case at VMware....

Would you have the bug n° so I can go to them and ask them again.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately I do not have the netapp bug number as it was not shared with me.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Rubrik

0 Kudos
PFLux
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Suhas,

I was in touch with NetApp support and the technical support engineer gave the bug number 969045

You may want to watch it, so you will get informed as soon as a patch will be available.

Regards.

SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Many thanks for that, will keep an eye out!

Suhas

Rubrik

0 Kudos
squebel
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing the same issue here since going to VSC 6.1. Any solution provided yet?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can try fix it restarting vCenter service.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
marcoa
Contributor
Contributor

This won't fix my issue with version 6.2.

Any fix out there?

Even with the bug ID 969045 I can't find any information in the NetApp bug report

0 Kudos
chuckado1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, I was wondering if there has been any resolution to this issue?

0 Kudos
EnriquePHX
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here VSC 6.2 with Center 6.0

0 Kudos
fklucas
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue with CDOT 8.3.2, vSphere 5.5 U3, VSC 6.2

I've added 969045 to my watch list and mostly replying to the thread in case it gets updated with workarounds or fixes.

0 Kudos
mac7819
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue on two vmware clusters.  The first cluster was a fresh install of VCSA 6.0 with ESXI 6 hosts.  VSC was fresh install of 6.1.  Everyday at 6 a.m. a task is queued for "Netapp Storage Discovery" .  Cannot cancel and it will not go away.

On my second cluster I just upgraded VCSA from 5.5 to 6.0, my ESXI hosts from 5.5 to 6.0u2 and also Netapp VSC from 5.0 to 6.2.  Now everyday, typically at 6 a.m. I get the same queued "NetApp Storage Discovery" task.  It tends to keep the task queued for 2 to 3 days.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
COSNA2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will be waiting a long time...

We have had this problem since we upgraded to ESX 4.0, 5.5; now on 6.0 and our old problem is back to greet us yet again...

We have spent countless hours (days upon days, weeks on weeks) attempting to troubleshoot this problem on our own and with the involvement of both VMware and NetApp support. During our investigation, we have discovered that this problem has been around since April 2010. On the NetApp side, the task actually executes and completes successfully. It does actually disappear from the task list. However, 15 minutes after the fact, the task shows back up in the web client and eventually reappears in the VI client with a status of either "in-progress" or "queued".

We have resorted to calling this a 'feature item' in VMware as it has been around for six (6) years now.

We consider this "cosmetic"...

Eric
0 Kudos
Lomeo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello community

We have exactly the same issue. Is there any solution in the meantime available?

We have upgraded from ESXi 5.0 U2 to ESXi 6.0.0.18915 and use the VSC 6.2P2.

0 Kudos