VMware Cloud Community
niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tape drive issue in esxi 4.1 (newbie)

Hi -

I have installed Vmware Esxi 4.1 on a Dell T410 server, then installed a SBS 2008 VM.

I have also connected a Tandberg LTO2 tape drive using a LSI 2032 SCSI controller. I can see Tanberg tape found and is active in the Vsphere Client under "adapters". In the SBS 2008 VM the SCSI controller is found, but no tape drive listed.

Any idea how to enable the tape drive inside the VM?

Kind r

Bjørn.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you have the correct edition to have the feature, you could use the VMDirectPath option (a.k.a. Passthrough) to connect the tape drive directly to that VM... Only that ONE VM will have access to the hardware though.

The settings are under the Configuration tab when you're looking at the host under the vSphere Client, under "Advanced Settings" in the Hardware listing... You'll need to configure the passthrough, then set the VM to use it...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you have the correct edition to have the feature, you could use the VMDirectPath option (a.k.a. Passthrough) to connect the tape drive directly to that VM... Only that ONE VM will have access to the hardware though.

The settings are under the Configuration tab when you're looking at the host under the vSphere Client, under "Advanced Settings" in the Hardware listing... You'll need to configure the passthrough, then set the VM to use it...

VMware VCP4

0 Kudos
niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi -

ok, correct edition?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Edition, such as free, Standard, Advanced, Enterprise, Enterprise Plus...

If the option doesn't show up in the section mentioned, or it's not configurable, then you're using an edition without license for that... I cannot locate where it says which editions VMDirectPath is available for, so I would imagine it's available for most/all (might not if you're using the free edition)...

Look at this KB article to get more info...

VMware VCP4

niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ill test this in my lab early next week and get back to this topic.

Thanks again.

Kind r

Bjørn.

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just for info passthough is available in all editions including free license

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I notice that enabling passthrough brings up a warning that vMotion will not work on this VM after. Snapshots as well.

Hmm, one step ahed and two back! Always a downside.

Snapshots not working will brings issues with virtual backup like Veeam Backup And Replication.

Do I miss something, or is this just the disadvantage of passthrough?

Kind r

Bjørn.

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes you are correct these features are not available when using passthough. Also you are unabble to use FT, Storage vMotion and suspend and resume funtionallity if you have passthrough

I suppose its common sense really that you cannot vMotion a server that is tied to a physical card in one of the hosts,

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes that seams logic. But what do you use for backup then? Virtual backups with Veeam requires snapshot be taken and removed. I guess it cant be used then.

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Its a tricky one for small environments, but generally we either use storage replication for backups to a remote site if possible, otherwise if you need a tape solution you might consider a directly attached tape library to the storage.

In smaller environments we sometimes consider using passthrough if they require tape, but just use that VM solely for backups and no other roles, this allows us to still use vMotion HA etc for the more critical roles.

Or a standalone entry level hardware server that has tape attached and also use it for your Veeam / Management tools for San etc this way if they have issues with the primary storage the server that you need to perform any restores or San management wont be affected.

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
0 Kudos
niko003
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see. Is passthrough mode the only option to make a tape drive visible inside a VM ?

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you can check the following KB article for more on this

I hope this helps

I hope this helps
0 Kudos