VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tape Drive is shown to be connected to vmhba1 ?

We just find that for unknown reason, a DLT tape drive is shown to be connected to vmhba1. The tape drive does attach to the same FC Switch that the ESX 4.0 Host connected to.

I have attempted to run "esxcfg-rescan vmhba1" but the tape drive still shows up. I also find that it is listed in the /proc/scsi/scsi file.

Your advice is sought.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fakber
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Tony,

Which vmhba is connected to your fabric? I assume that your tape drive is a FC tape drive and that if vmhba1 is one of your FC HBAs then it should show up under vmhba1. That is, if you are presenting the tape drive and/or the tape drive is in the same zone you may see the tape drive after a scan of the bus.

Consider employing the use of single-initiator zoning to ensure that your initiators (HBAs) only see the correct targets you want them to see.

I hope this helps.

Faisal Akber

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fakber
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Tony,

Which vmhba is connected to your fabric? I assume that your tape drive is a FC tape drive and that if vmhba1 is one of your FC HBAs then it should show up under vmhba1. That is, if you are presenting the tape drive and/or the tape drive is in the same zone you may see the tape drive after a scan of the bus.

Consider employing the use of single-initiator zoning to ensure that your initiators (HBAs) only see the correct targets you want them to see.

I hope this helps.

Faisal Akber

0 Kudos