VMware Cloud Community
GregRoberts2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Talking to vmtools inside VM - Aim revert snapshot

Hi

I hope someone can get me started on the options here.

We want to leave a vm in our DMZ for selected customers to play with Beta features.

I want the flexibility of calling a script at logoff or the user manually pressing a desktop ICON to revert the snapshot.

We use v5.51 of ESXi under a vSphere client for management (or the web interface)

The idea being to ensure the next user gets a working system in case the customer did something to break it.

I was think something that communicated with the installed VMware tools and told it to ask for a snapshot revert.

>> What do you suggest ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why dont you consider a powerCLI script . Run a script to create snapshot during startup and run a script to remove the snapshot during shutdown

Refer Use Startup, Shutdown, Logon, and Logoff Scripts  for how to put scripts for startup and shutdown

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Shahnawaz26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Greg,

Have you considered using Non-Persistent Disks, and have the User PowerOff instead of Log Off.

Next Guy will get a Virgin VM.

-Cheers

0 Kudos
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i guess it be better if you try using Horizon view.

because any communication to installed VMware tools and snapshot revert is what i never heard of.

0 Kudos
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why dont you consider a powerCLI script . Run a script to create snapshot during startup and run a script to remove the snapshot during shutdown

Refer Use Startup, Shutdown, Logon, and Logoff Scripts  for how to put scripts for startup and shutdown

0 Kudos
GregRoberts2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Apologies on the delay for the response, something happened to the email notification and I assumed no one replied.

0 Kudos