VMware Cloud Community
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

System logging not Configured on host

After a fresh install of 5.0, then installing Update 1 (now at build 623860), all our hosts are showing the warning "System logging not Configured on host".

After reading KB 2006834 and 2003322, I note that Syslog.global.logDir (under AdvancedSettings->Syslog->global) is blank.  So I'd think that logs would go to the default, /scratch/log.  /scratch/log does exist, although it's empty.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks...Lyle

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Check that you have a persistent scratch location (by vmware kb Determining whether an ESXi host has persistent logging)

and if it exists, set log location by vmware kb 2003322. (I prefer the command line, so "esxcli system syslog config set --logdir=/scratch/log --logdir-unique=false --default-rotate=8 --default-size=1024" and "esxcli system syslog reload")

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Check that you have a persistent scratch location (by vmware kb Determining whether an ESXi host has persistent logging)

and if it exists, set log location by vmware kb 2003322. (I prefer the command line, so "esxcli system syslog config set --logdir=/scratch/log --logdir-unique=false --default-rotate=8 --default-size=1024" and "esxcli system syslog reload")

0 Kudos
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  The cli commands worked well....Lyle

0 Kudos