VMware Cloud Community
xblain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

System Management Software 1 SEL Fullness 0: Log Full - Assert

Hi all,

We have an old VmWare ESXi 4 in our organization, No vCenter installed.
I have two warning messages regarding to log capacity , print screen is attached.
I have access via SSH to Tech Support mode ,also I can access folders on the server and locate the log file.

Tried to clear the log as suggested here: VMware KB:    The Host IPMI System Event Log Status alarm is triggered repeatedly in VMware vCenter ...
But when I run the "localcli hardware ipmi sel clear" command in SSH connection I get an error: -ash: localcli: not found.

Please help me to clear the logs,

Can I just remove the log file from the server?

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xblain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So. I figured out how to do this.
First we need to understand that it could be Server Host BIOS logs or in another case the partition containing logs can be out of storage.

• In my case the problem was in IBM server BIOS logs. I just cleared BIOS logs from the host server (restart required).
  • Other way to overcome this problem , if it was a partition that run out of space is to point logs to another , larger partition.
    This could be done under Configuration>>Software>>Advanced Settings -> ScratchConfig.

Hope that will help to anyone.... I don't sure that ESXi4 exist somewhere except my company Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

AFAIK, localcli did not exist in esx 4.x . It was introduced in 5.0 onwards. 

From the KB , localcli hardware ipmi sel clear command is introduced specifically in a releaseof 5.1 and 5.5 only.  For 4.x following steps should solve the issue.

To clear the IPMI System Event.log file and reset the sensors:

1. Open vCenter Server using vSphere Client.
  2. In the vCenter Server Inventory, select the ESXi/ESX host.
  3. Click the Hardware Status tab.
  4. Click System Event log under View.
  5. Click Reset Event Log. The red alert is removed from the System Event log.
  6. Click Reset Sensors to reset the host sensors.
xblain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

As I mentioned before we donwt have vCenter installed.
Furthermore I think there is no option to connect ESXi 4 (free edition) to the vCenter. May be I am wrong...
I have no access to download the vCenter 4 in official VMWare download page.

So is there any other option? May be I can get download link from somewhere and try to install vCenter?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
xblain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So. I figured out how to do this.
First we need to understand that it could be Server Host BIOS logs or in another case the partition containing logs can be out of storage.

• In my case the problem was in IBM server BIOS logs. I just cleared BIOS logs from the host server (restart required).
  • Other way to overcome this problem , if it was a partition that run out of space is to point logs to another , larger partition.
    This could be done under Configuration>>Software>>Advanced Settings -> ScratchConfig.

Hope that will help to anyone.... I don't sure that ESXi4 exist somewhere except my company Smiley Happy

0 Kudos