VMware Cloud Community
esxinoob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sysprep on Windows Server 2008 R2 Template

Hi,

I found the followed knowledge base about creating a vmware template for win srv 2008 r2.

http://www.it-book.co.uk/2122/creating-a-vmware-template-for-windows-2008r2

I set up my template with the sysprerp described in the blog.

Unfortunately I found two domain server with the exact SAME SID! Thereforde, there where several problems with the permissions...

Is windows making the sysprep before shutting down? So the article above would me wrong...

Thanks for ur answers.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarVista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No the Article above is very correct . but did you reboot the Server after you installed updates ? sometimes it will reboot twice to finish installing all updates and be ready for a further installation .

What is exactly the error you are having ? post it here so we can help you out .

Yours,
Mar Vista

jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Runnins sysprep manually before converting is actually not necessary if you let vCenter handle everything and use the customization wizard when deploying from template.  But what you followed should not have resulted in the same SID.  Did you have the "generalize" box checked when you ran Sysprep?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
esxinoob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer.

I think the "generalize" box was checked when i run sysprep.

I didn't get a error message. I couldn't add domain members/groups to the local admin group of a new win server 2008 r2, which i joined to a exist domain.

The AD of the domain is also created by the template. after i re-run sysprep and re-joined the domain, it worked.

I will have a look to the template and will run sysprep again to be sure the "generalize" box is checked.

0 Kudos
Gastbie
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm running into this same issue.

0 Kudos
mightyvarun
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Have you create Customization specification for windows 2008 R2 ? Also check if you have windows 2008 R2 sysprep placed at C:\users\all users\VMWare\VMWare VirtualCenter\Sysprep.

~Varun Khatri

0 Kudos