VMware Cloud Community
vmagic
Contributor
Contributor

Sysprep fail during virtual machine clone attempt

When cloning a virtual machine, I choose to use the guest custimization wizard. I enter the information necessary to complete the steps, cloning starts, it takes a few minutes, the newly cloned machine boots up, and when sysprep kicks in i get this error message:

"Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file . The answer file does not contain a valid root element.

Isn't this the whole purpose of the guest customization wizard? to create the unattend.xml file based on what I enter in the wizard. After this, the virtual machine goes in a endless loop of reboots. Shutting down does not work, it complains about not having vmware tools installed, even though the virtual machine I want to clone does have vmware tools installed. The only was is to delete the virtual machine from disk. Server OS is Window Server 2008 R2.

All help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmagic
Contributor
Contributor

Solved this one, I had accidently put an imcomplete unattend.xml file in the C:\Windows\Sysprep directory, hence explaing the error message I received. After deleting the unattend.xml file, the cloning process completed without any errors.

0 Kudos