VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Syslog source files

When ESXi sends output via syslog to a syslog server, which log files within ESXi does it pull from to gather syslog events to send?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Its depend upon where you configured the syslog in the remote host otherwise it is locally log in /var/log/syslog .

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

I'm looking to find out of all the logs that are listed here:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203207...

When I configure ESXi to forward syslog to a syslog server, of all the log files listed here, what information is included?

Are all the other log files included in syslog.log?

If only the info in some other log files is included in syslog.log, what info from what other log files is included in syslog.log?

When the syslog server receives logs from ESXi, is it receiving ONLY the logs that are written to syslog.log?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Each ESXi host generates a large number of component logs. In an average day with default logging settings, each host generates ~250 MB of data. Even with a relatively small number of hosts, querying this log data when troubleshooting a problem quickly becomes very difficult, and correlating the information even more so.
Therefore, if you are tasked with maintaining hundreds or even thousands of ESXi hosts and other data center devices, managing logs locally can become impossible. Fortunately, there is a straightforward solution to this problem: a centralized syslog service.

Each ESXi host runs a local syslog daemon called vmsyslogd, which provides the standard mechanism for logging messages from the VMkernel, and other system components, to a centralized syslog target. By default in ESXi, logs are stored on a local scratch volume or in RAMdisk depending on the hosts installation device and configuration. To preserve the logs in a centralized location, the ESXi hosts and other devices need to be configured to send their logs across the network directly to a central syslog server or alternatively, to a syslog aggregation server, which in turn forwards the syslog messages to the centralized location.

Therefore Syslog is the method by which computer devices can send event messages to a logging server, known as the syslog server. The syslog protocol is supported by a range of computer devices, but the focus of this paper is the use of syslog to forward vSphere based logs to a centralized logging server for analysis, troubleshooting, and security auditing.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
akarydas2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I had a look in the documentation but they don't specify exactly.

I assume that the syslog messages you receive are from the services listed :

esxcli system syslog config logger list

And I can confirm at least for most of them that I receive them on my syslog server.

I don't think there is a choice to specify the severity you want them to be forwarded to your syslog server but I am still looking for it.

Best Regards

0 Kudos