VMware Cloud Community
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Syslog in VCSA

Hi All,

Need to know couple of things

We are planning to deploy a new VCSA 6 and then later add 46 ESXi / 800 VM’s to it ; it there a way I can redirect the ESXi logs to VCSA Appliance – can I make VCSA a syslog server to collect esxi logs?

Second ; considering the above point is not applicable then can I install Syslog msi file (only) on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and point all my 46 ESXi hosts to forward log files on it?

I donot have any third party syslog server nor I have approval to create one

Thanks in advance

Vaibhav

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

looks you have posted same question in vCenter community too. here - Syslog server in VCSA

You can configure vcsa as syslog server.

61823_61823.pngpastedImage_0.png

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

A preview of native syslog support in VCSA 6.0 | virtuallyGhetto

Also you can install Windows syslog (older version) service separately on any windows system and forward esxi logs to it.

However in either case, ESXi host host limit is 30. make sure you configure log rotation.

Consider using VMware Log InSight as syslog server. You can use vCenter license key for it and VMware provides 25 License for it.  You will have to purchase license for additional system if needed.

VMware vRealize Log Insight: Log Management & Analytics

-

Haridas Vhadade

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

Hi, I have had some success with Graylog | Open Source Log Management‌ - They have ovf image deploy and happy days.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos