VMware Cloud Community
stanleykwan
Contributor
Contributor

Symantec EndPoint 11 on Vms...

I have 2 ESX4 Server, A Server is 1 x 3GHz CPU, and B Server is 1 x 2.4GHz (dual core)

I try to install Symantec EndPoint 11 MR5 on the A Server VMs, it consume alot of CPU even the VMs is idel.....

but it didn't have issue on B Server.

I have NFS storage, and try to mount the VMs through 2 Server and check the problem.

Finally the A Server always consume alot of CPU time, but B Server didn't.

It force me install Symantec Ver. 10 on A Server VMs.

Did anyone have this issue??????????

Please help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stanleykwan
Contributor
Contributor

no body have this issue on ESX4 ????

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Not problems directly with ESX4, just issues with SEP11 in general. It seems to eat a lot of CPU and on some servers, users will report connectivity issues (timeouts) until we uninstall. On a few occasions, it requires a clean reinstall of Windows to fully get rid of SEP11.

But like you, it doesn't happen everywhere. And BTW, this on physical machines as well as virtual machines. So to me, the issue seems more just the awful SEP, not necessarily a virtual machine or ESX issue.

0 Kudos
stanleykwan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your update,

on my case, it only eat alot of CPU on 1 of my ESX4 server (which is a single core Xeon CPU server)

all the VMs install SEP 11 have CPU issue.

however, on the 2nd ESX4 server (which have 2 core Xeon CPU), it didn't have issue on VMs install SEP 11.

Before I try to post and ask Symantec for this issue, they reply and will fixed on release MR5, but now seem haven't improved.

Just wonder others Vmware user have my case also.

and if I add 1 more CPU on the ESX4 server, will the problem fixed???? :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

You can try installing another CPU. But I'm not so certain that will help, unless your host's utilization is that high. I have SEP issues on physical machines with 4 and 8 cores. These are not ESX hosts, these are single servers with Windows directly installed and still I have performance and CPU usage issues. About the only thing that on the surface seem consistent is that the Windows 2000 servers seem ok. Issues have appeared on 2003 & 2008 servers...but not all of them.

Sorry, I can't tell you more. Perhaps others will have more (and better) advice. But everything I've read is not good and what I've gotten from Symantec so far hasn't help.

0 Kudos