VMware Cloud Community
sasser1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Switching vom primary SAN Image to Secondary SAN Image.

Hello,

I have vSphere 5.1 Enterprise with a FC EMC SAN. SAN Mirroring with Consistency Groups are configured. The LUN ID is the same on primary and Secundary Site.

Now I must switch from my Primary SAN Image to the Secondary SAN Image. VMware Infrastructure 3 needs a Advanced Configuration Setting for this (sorry a long time ago...) And now with ESX 5.1, Settings or Problems ???

Many thanks for your Help !

Bye

Mike

SAN Policy is Round Robin.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

with EMC FC arrays the naa. identifier isn't transfered to the secondary mirror (except VPLEX).

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

you do mean the parameter described here.

vSphere handling of LUNs detected as Snapshot LUNs

With 5.x you could handle this scenario directly from the infrastructure client as the replicated datastore wouln't be mounted automatically.

If this "switch" should be permanent I would recommend the resignature functionallity, but that would require some extra preparation as this would create "stale" entries in the vCenter DB.

For a temporary switch you will be fine with the "mount" option, here you have to perform this for any ESX Server who should access the VMFS.

That should do the trick.

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If the replicated volume retains the same LUN device ID (naa. identifier) and LUN number, you shouldn't need to worry about resignaturing and a HBA rescan should be enough to make the failover work. I don't know about your EMC SAN, but HP EVA Continuous Access replication works like this.

But either way you don't need to manually set the enableresginature and disallowsnapshotlun parameter manually anymore to mount/resignature VMFS datastores.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

with EMC FC arrays the naa. identifier isn't transfered to the secondary mirror (except VPLEX).

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
0 Kudos
sasser1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all Answers, I have moved my VMs with svMotion -> no interuption for my environment but your answer help me in the future! I hope this never comes 😉 Bye.

0 Kudos