VMware Cloud Community
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Swapping out ESX Hosts

Aloha,

We have a situation where we want to swap out our Dell PE710s with 820s. The 710s

will then be relocated to another area of the island for DR. There are a couple logistical

twists I'd like to run by you.

This is where we are now -

GenericClusterName (710s)

esx1

esx2

esx3

Location1ClusterName (820s)

esx4

esx5

esx6

Where we want to be -

Location1ClusterName (820s)

esx1

esx2

esx3

Location2ClusterName (710s)

NewName1

NewName2

NewName3

So in summation what we want to do is -

* Have Location1 become our main cluster

* Rename Generic to Location2 as it will be at DR site

* VMotion all the VMs from the 710s to the 820s

* Rename ESX4/5/6 (820s) to ESX1/2/3

* Rename original ESX1/2/3 (720s) to dummy names that will be determined later

I think renaming the cluster will be no big deal. Where I get tangled up is the host

renames. When would be the best time to do these?? My gut says the renames should

be the very last thing we do. May I have your opinions about my overall plan and specifically

the host renaming??

Mahalo,

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your gut is giving you the best advice on this, as the VMs belong to the cluster and dont really care much if the hosts are Donald Duck 1 or Goofy 2.

My personal advice for you is to complete the cluster redesign, and move the VMs, then use the opportunity to reinstall the hosts one by one, so you also at the same time can get to the highest supported patch level by your vcenter.

Be also aware that you need to fix dns records during the renaming, so make a good point by point list to follow, then you will get a new nice setup to follow.

Personally I would follow this procedure in the end:

1. Remove shared storage from the host as a pre-reinstall precaution

2. Remove license from host server

3. Remove DNS entry and replace with new name/IP

4. Reinstall and set up again with new name/IP

5. Join vcenter and add license back

6. Re-attach shared storage

Good luck and dont forget to always document network setup and port usage pre-reinstalls

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your gut is giving you the best advice on this, as the VMs belong to the cluster and dont really care much if the hosts are Donald Duck 1 or Goofy 2.

My personal advice for you is to complete the cluster redesign, and move the VMs, then use the opportunity to reinstall the hosts one by one, so you also at the same time can get to the highest supported patch level by your vcenter.

Be also aware that you need to fix dns records during the renaming, so make a good point by point list to follow, then you will get a new nice setup to follow.

Personally I would follow this procedure in the end:

1. Remove shared storage from the host as a pre-reinstall precaution

2. Remove license from host server

3. Remove DNS entry and replace with new name/IP

4. Reinstall and set up again with new name/IP

5. Join vcenter and add license back

6. Re-attach shared storage

Good luck and dont forget to always document network setup and port usage pre-reinstalls

0 Kudos