VMware Cloud Community
prakash9339
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Svmotion Performance issue ?

If the VM is migrated from one data store to other data store, Is there any performance impact on other VM’s which are in same data store?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi there,

well this is not that easy to explain.

it's depending on the available  I/O.

- do you have local Datastores? 

- if non-local >  you have FC/iscsi/nfs ?

- you have different Raid for the Datastores?  Which Kind of Raid? (Raid1/5/6,....)  How much Disk Slices you have inside the Raid?

you need to be aware that you have read I/O on the Source Datastore and write I/O on the Destination. and this is additional next to you're running Vm's

i would jump on the esxi console and checking esxtop. there you see best if the datastores having any Latency Issues.  you could do then a Test-Svmotion outside of Business Times

thx

Max

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi there,

well this is not that easy to explain.

it's depending on the available  I/O.

- do you have local Datastores? 

- if non-local >  you have FC/iscsi/nfs ?

- you have different Raid for the Datastores?  Which Kind of Raid? (Raid1/5/6,....)  How much Disk Slices you have inside the Raid?

you need to be aware that you have read I/O on the Source Datastore and write I/O on the Destination. and this is additional next to you're running Vm's

i would jump on the esxi console and checking esxtop. there you see best if the datastores having any Latency Issues.  you could do then a Test-Svmotion outside of Business Times

thx

Max

0 Kudos