VMware Cloud Community
mdwasim
Contributor
Contributor

SvMotion on network iSCSI

Hello Friends,

Please guide me and clear my confusion.

I have 2 ESX server named ESX01 and ESX02.

both have same hardware, Dell R710, Broadcom 4 Port NIC (NetXtreme II BCM5709), this card does supports 1000Mbps.

I don't have a common storage, so I am using a file server on network and a virtual iSCSI from Starwind along with software initiator.

My network speed is 100Mbps, cant go to 1Gb coz switch does not support.

I have few VM on ESX01 and I need to updateESX01 to Update2. I need to move all VM's to ESX02. To move I am using SvMotion and moving the hard drive files to virtual iSCSI datastore.

I dont know why its taking too long to move the file, the vmdk size is arround 10Gb..Approximately it took 45 mins..

I am confused is there any problem with my network configuration on ESX server or its coz I am moving to virtual iSCSI datastore.

Please do reply with suggestions and correct me if wrong somwehere.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: mdwasim

Another thing I have noticed, using veeam fastSCP I use to upload ISO files in datastore, for 1Gb it use to take 4-5 mins but now its taking more than an hour to upload 500MB file. I am not sure why this is happening..

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

>I am confused is there any problem with my network configuration on ESX server or its coz I am moving to virtual iSCSI datastore.

Yes. 100 Mbit.

iSCSI works over network, so you'll have 11-12 MB/s peak transfer with very high latency

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
mdwasim
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply...

Fine, so that mean things are normal, but whatsup with my veeamFastSCP.. it has also got too slow Smiley Sad before it was working good and upload was at speed of 1-2 MB/s now its like 200-350kbps

0 Kudos
mdwasim
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Here comes a new surprise..

Server: Dell R 710, NIC BroadCom Extreme II BCM5709.

As my original post is about slow data transfer between servers, I agreed to our expert that I will get the same speed on 100Mbps NIC..

somehow I moved all VM's to other server which was updated to U2. now its time to update ESX01.. before going ahead I rebooted the server and to my surprise the vmnic0 is showing 1000Mbps !!..

I didnt capture the screenshot but I can show the VeeamSCP transfer window.. the transfer rate is 3MB/s which i didnt get on ESX02 server (which is updated)

Now the question thats coming in my head is, when I was trying to set the same NIC on same server to 1000Mbps via CLI and VI Client it was giving me error message something which says

ok, I uploaded the update02.zip bundle and updated the server successfully.

Here is the surprise!!

Again the NIC got set to 100Mbps !! :-((

!Image-0049.jpg|thumbnail=true!

After some searching here and there.. found This, "2. BRCM 5709 link does not go up when bnx2 module is loaded (after BIOS/BMC/fpga upgrade to GA version)"

10235_10235.jpg

Then i searched in the update list and found

What if I want to remove this specific update?

Waht I have noticed is after updating the ESX to U2 the NIC started to stick at 100Mbps, otherwise even though the switch to which these servers are connected are not 1GB supported the NIC give good speed.

This update is or might be the fix to something for NICs but removing this is giving good speed!!..

How can I remove this specific update..

0 Kudos