VMware Cloud Community
vudathu
Contributor
Contributor

Supported mother board and processor for installing ESXi server

Hi,

Good Day, I am planning to buy a workstation for my personal training. I would like to install ESXi server and explore the product. Kindly please let me know the supported motherboards and processors at low cost. This is purely for my training purpose. Kindly please provide me the details. Thanks in advance to one and all who contributes to my request.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome.

Follow link to helpful.

http://ultimatewhitebox.com/

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

since this is meant for training, you may consider to run vCenter Server and ESXi as virtual machines in VMware Workstation. This might not provide the highest performance and you will not be able to run 64-bit nested guests, but you will be able to setup a complete vSphere environment this way and you don't need to worry much about the hardware. A current system with 8GB RAM, a 64-bit CPU and Intel-VT available in the BIOS will do. You can also run a VM which provides shared storage for the ESXi VM's (e.g. Openfiler, Starwind, ...) to be able to test features like vMotion.

André

0 Kudos