VMware Cloud Community
bhgewilson
Contributor
Contributor

Supid Redundant, CPU Question

Everyone,

I must be dense but I am having performance problems and need some help.

I have a server with two physical processors, 8 cores per socket  with a total of 32 logical processors.

I have three WIndows servers running with SQL running on two of them.

We are getting some outrageous spikes in processor time in the Windows OS performance tab.

The one server is a web server and it runs extremely slow at times.

I have attached a picture of the individual virtual machine CPU settings.  I assume this is the best but I don't really know what to select here if I should do higher number of sockets or cores per socket.

I have read some material and to be honest it goes a little over my head.

Does anyone have any straight English best practice recommendations.  My CPU's in the VM are spiking at 80% and averaging around 15-20%.

I can also use  http://www.fossiltoys.com/cpuload.html to watch a load go on there.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks,

Brad WIlson

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

First, setting up 1 vCPU with 8 vCores or 2 vCPUs with 4 vCores each or well ... anything else won't change anything about your problem. This setup is only for licensing purpose. Some products are licensed on a per (v)CPU basis.

About your CPU performance problem, did you noticed any problem with your Storage Devices ? Same question with your vmnics ?

Do you use memory overcommitment ?

Can you detail your physical configuration (CPU OK, but also memory quantity, storage type (iSCSI, SAN, local, VSA), Network (number of vmnics, speed, ...), and your 3 VMs configurations ?

Also, you should study yor %READY graph to see if it's too high ?

Regards.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
bhgewilson
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I am a little confused.  If number of virtual sockets or number of cores per socket do not matter then why have it in there.  I understand for licensing but there has to be some correlation between performance right.  I made virtual sockets 4 and cores 2   vs. 1 and 8 perspectively.

I ran some tests for processor load and 1 and 8 far out performed the other tests

Storage we think is a small issue that can be corrected.  We needed space as much as anything and money was a factor.  We have two RAID arrays in BIOS of the server.  All storage is local.  RAID 1 for ESXI and RAID 5 for OS\Data.  The RAID 5 volume has 7 disks.  I realize this may not be a perfect setup but money dictated this.

Memory is not overcommitted.  The Server has 64GB and each machine is running 16.

We are on a single Vswitch with all 4 NICS setup for failover but not lagging.

What is %ready.

I am learning but still pretty novice on some of this.  THanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do think that number of core per vCPU and vCPU number do not change anything about performances issues as, if configured identically, the same amount of resources are allocated to your VM. It was also confirmed to me by my instructor when I followed the vSphere course. Anyway, I will try to find a document about that point. I found this document on VMware's website : vSphere Documentation Center. It says that, from vSphere NUMA architectures may be exposed to VM. Using multiple vCore on 1 vCPU versus only multiple vCPU may increase performance if Guest OS and Guest applications are "NUMA-aware" and knows how to benefit from this. SQL must just know how to benefit from NUMA if you saw performance any differences.

Concerning your network configuration, you said 1 vSwitch and all 4 vmnics in it. You said failover ? Are all vmnic active at the same time or any vmnic standby (check vSwitch and all PG) ? What's the Load balancing policy ? Are you using Traffic shaping ?

You may check all your vmnic performance graph to see if one is overused compared to the three others.

Concerning %ready, it's a performance graph for your VMs. You will find it under the CPU section of Performance tab for each VM (also available for your vSphere Host). You should check this graph to see if the average value is too high. Post graph if possible.

Another question : how much memory do your 3 VMs have ?

Regards,

Ludo

Message was edited by: ldesfontaines Added information about number of vCPU and number of vCores, all regarding NUMA architecture

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
bhgewilson
Contributor
Contributor

As for Numa-aware, we are using three windows servers.

My network configuration is that I have 4 physical NICs.  I have the standard vswitch setup by installer and then I created a second for the virtual machines.  I gave physical NIC 2-4 to the VM vswitch.

No failover.

no load balancing, no traffic shaping

48 GB of RAM

0 Kudos