VMware Cloud Community
joedr
Contributor
Contributor

Supermicro X9SCM-F Slow and erratic Disk Performance on 6.7

Hi All!

Just installed 6.7 on Supermicro X9SCM-F board and so far everything is working fine except disk speed/performance.  I have one SSD and one regular 3.5" HDD on this homelab.

If I try to copy something to/from any of the disk, a 8-9 GB file takes between 5-20 mins and sometimes even fail to copy.  During this slow copies I noticed that the server page even slows down and become unresponsive at times.

I have tried disabling vmk_ahci module using this (esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci) and it seems to take away the fail to copy but still very slow performance.

This is what I am getting when looking for the available modules:

[root@VMware:~] esxcli software vib list | grep ahci

sata-ahci                      3.0-26vmw.670.0.0.8169922             VMW     VMwareCertified   2018-09-01

vmw-ahci                       1.2.0-6vmw.670.0.0.8169922            VMW     VMwareCertified   2018-09-01

One thing I noticed is that when vmk-ahci is disabled, the new driver is "ahci" instead of "sata_ahci" I saw some other posts related to 6.5 when dealing with slow disk performance.

Can someone be kind to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

joedr

0 Kudos
8 Replies
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What storage controller are you using? Does it have a cache?

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
joedr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response! 

It is the controller that came with the board.  Intel C204 PCH Chipset.

Here is the link for the board:  Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9SCM-F

I loaded the drivers listed on the VMware Compatibility List and the six sata ports are listed.

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cool ok, did you reboot after disabl9nig the device drive?r

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.
0 Kudos
joedr
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  I did reboot after the change.

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ah ok, is the a new install or an upgrade? Were you running 6.5?

0 Kudos
joedr
Contributor
Contributor

Clean install on 6.7 iso.

0 Kudos
joedr
Contributor
Contributor

I loaded Windows 10 just to test the performance on an OS that I am familiar and the controller was working correctly on my SSD.  Got me to suspect the other HDD and it seems that something is wrong with it.

I removed the HDD and loaded ESXI again and it seems to be working as it should.  I will leave it running for the rest of the day and reply back with an update.

Thanks VitualizedRob for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
iopsGent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good news! Smiley Happy np.

0 Kudos