graphic issues. Indeed I think the bootloader is nearly finished before it
changes the screen in another mode. First thing we tried SHIFT+O
ignoreHeadless=TRUE

I tried several things to change settings in the
Bios and even removed the m.sata HD and memory. Installed ESXi 6.0. Nothing
helped.

Motherboard is: X11SBA-LN4F with Bios version 1.1
dated 01/23/2018

So I'm reaching out to you if you have another idea or experience with this model? I read there is a possiblitiy with serial cable to log the loader process. It seems quite complicated since there are only USB ports available.

Thanks,

Edy

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can look for live vmkernel log if the vmkernel is started using ALT + F12. As the hardware is not in hcl list, there are chances that it might or may not work as 6.5 has some strict hardware parameters it verifies.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
Edyxx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately at this stage ALT+F12 doesn't work yet. Attached is a screesshot of the hang. This time I even tried ESXi 5.5. It appears regardless of which version I tried to install it hangs at the stage of relocating modules.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
Edyxx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this. This thread I know and tried to find the settings in the bios of my server. Yes it is quite possible it is a graphic issue. Attached a screenshot of the various settings I can check.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do not know but I failed to see the attachments, donno why

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello All,

After trying various things I gave up. I even installed ESXi on a Intel NUC 5th generation which worked fine and used that USB with the Supermicro.

I contacted Supermicro support and they friendly replied that they have no records for the E200-9b model. However they mentioned the E200-8D works. Indeed the blogs on the internet indicate that E200-8D should work with ESXi. I compared the spec of both models, E200-9b pretty new, and noticed the graphic chipset is not the same. I'm pretty sure the issue is the graphic chipset.

I hope this posts will help someone before buying a Supermicro mini server.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
JoseSousa
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, did you install the ESXi on the Supermicro sys-200-9b?

I have the same hardware and I have the same problem. I was able to install Citrix XenServer on a good one.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

What make/model USB device were you trying to use for the ESXi install?? I've seen various issues with sub-par USB (thumb) drives with ESXi installs. These are ones that appear to be fine when used with a Windows system, but will not work right (if at all) for ESXi.

Personally, I've had solid results with a variety of (not the cheapest models) Sandisk and Kingston USB thumb drives. With the costs going down, and capacity going up, it's almost harder to find a small drive these days. Small as in under 16GB.

0 Kudos