VMware Cloud Community
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SuperMicro RAID Intel C612 Controller

I'm looking at a SuperMicro server and I want to clarify before I talk to my re-seller again. I'm not finding the Intel C612 RAID controller on the VMware HCL. I see that SuperMicro says "it's supported", but I think it's only supported as a disk controller and not a RAID controller. Can anyone verify?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

C612 is Intel-chipset containing RSTe (rapid storage technology). Supported is motherboard and chipset, even sata-ports, but not this "raid-controller". Basically, it is a fake- (aka software-, bios-, pseudo-) raid, and these are generally not supported by ESXi. Even if you create array, ESXi will see individual disks. Forget this crap, and get good true hardware raid-controller for ESXi, with on-board cache and power-loss protection.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

C612 is Intel-chipset containing RSTe (rapid storage technology). Supported is motherboard and chipset, even sata-ports, but not this "raid-controller". Basically, it is a fake- (aka software-, bios-, pseudo-) raid, and these are generally not supported by ESXi. Even if you create array, ESXi will see individual disks. Forget this crap, and get good true hardware raid-controller for ESXi, with on-board cache and power-loss protection.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
Mike_MT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. That was pretty much my understanding as well.

0 Kudos