VMware Cloud Community
gokart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

(Stupid question) Potentially orphaned vmdks?

Hi there,

I did a bunch of datastore migrations, VM alignments, disk resizes, etc over the weekend. End result is that I'm left with a Datastore I'd love to remove, but when viewed in the datastore browser, there are still vmdks for several of my guests in there... Now I managed to nuke a VM over the weekend by deleting a datastore while a guest was still linked to a snapshot vmdk over there (the Snapshot Manager did not relay this information), so I'm a bit gun shy. Nothing in the vSphere client suggests these files are in use, but is there any way to double-check these vmdks are no longer linked to their old guests in any way before removing the datastore? Am I correct in thinking the datastore browser will not let you remove these files if linked to a powered on VM? So maybe just delete all the vmdks by hand and then remove the datastore?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Install RVTools (Freeware at www.robware.net) and run the health check. It will tell you if there are any vmdk's are around not used by any VM! Smiley Wink

I am regulary doing my cleanup and houshold works with this tool and it works fine.

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Install RVTools (Freeware at www.robware.net) and run the health check. It will tell you if there are any vmdk's are around not used by any VM! Smiley Wink

I am regulary doing my cleanup and houshold works with this tool and it works fine.

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
gokart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

RVTools picked these guys up as Zombies, which is good enough for me. Also found a couple other uninflated snapshot leftovers kicking around - helpful tool.

0 Kudos