VMware Cloud Community
jbhifi
Contributor
Contributor

Studying for VCP - Need help with understanding Service Console / Partitioning / VMKernel.

Hi.

I'm currently studying for VCP and need some help understanding some basic principles around ESX. From what I undertstand, The linux kernel is loaded first at boot up and this is responsible for booting the VMkernel. Ok, no problems there Smiley Happy Next, as I understand it, the Linux kernel somehow becomes the first VM running on the previously loaded VMkernel. This is where I get a bit confused.

Firstly, How does the linux kernel go from running on physical hardware at boot up to running in a VMDK as a VM ?

Secondly, how does all the partitioning work around this? From what I undertstand, the service console ends up in a VMDK which is carved up into partitions such as /boot, /var/log etc.... Obviously this has to reside on VMFS somewhere, so does the VMkernel mount some VMFS storage for this?

I hope this makes sense. I've spent most of my time around ESXi so this is a little foreign to me.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As of 4.0 the startup sequence is different.  The ESX kernel is booted basically directly and then starts the service console VM ontop of the running VMkernel.  I think you are getting the boot sequence confused with 3.x which is as you described, I hope this clears things up!

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos