VMware Cloud Community
hellofly
Contributor
Contributor

Strange networking isssues with ESXi 5.5

Hello the vmware community.

So I have a strange networking issues with ESXi 5.5 could not seem to figure out.

I have got 3 servers running ESXi 4.1 connect to a physic switch.  I though it's time to upgrade so I use another 3 more server to built 3 servers with ESXi 5.5.  The servers are Supermicro, they are identical built except for the CPU speed.  I install ESXi 5.5 on a USB flash drive 8GB.  After install ESXi 5.5 I found that the e1000 network driver on ESXi5.5 is not working on these Supermicro board, but I have follow some instruction on another thread to get driver from ESXi5.0 so e1000 network drivers is load and network is working.  I make an image of the USB flash drive and put on 2 other flash drive.  Connect all the USB flash drive to the 3 servers, and they all boot up without any issues.  I was able to log in and give each server a new ip address for the management network.  I did notice that that the mac addresses did came up correct for each machine.  The free license got for ESXi5.5 is for 10 physical hosts.

Here is the strange part, only 1 of the ESXi5.5 management network can be reach at a time, and it's randomly.  If i want to access one particular ESXi5.5, then I have to disable the ports or disconnect the other 2 servers.  But even though when all 3 ESXi 5.5 are connected to the switch and only one of the ESXi5.5 management network can be reach, all the guest OS on all three ESXi5.5 servers can be reach with out any problem as all the Guest OS have their own static public IP.  I don't have anything weird configure on the physical switch.  The three ESXi4.1 connect to the same switch and does not have this problem.  I'm might go back and test ESXi5.0 see if i have this issues, or try to install ESXi5.5 by install one by one instead of clone.  Will greatly appreciate for any info/comment/suggestion. Smiley Happy

2 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The easiest fix is to install the additional two hosts manually instead of using the cloned USB boot.  Alternatively, you can try some of the techniques used when cloning nested ESXi.  Using this for your physical clones will likely avoid the UUID conflicts, etc. that are causing issues.

virtuallyGhetto: How to properly clone a Nested ESXi VM?

hellofly
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I plan to reinstall them fresh to see if that solve the issue.

0 Kudos