VMware Cloud Community
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strange ghost network

Hi.

After I upgrade vCenter/ESXi from 4.1 to 5.0, some strange networks appear.

Please check the attachments.

Some VM contains some inactive networks, which are not listed in the property windows of this vm.

How to remove these ghost network?

I've check the vmx file of affected vm, no strange network is listed in. And, i've tried to remove it from inventory then add it back, problem still exists.

How to fix it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you looked at the host networking configuration?  Perhaps there is something leftover on a specific host.  You may be able to see what host these networks are on from the Networking Inventory View.

You could also try, changing the Port Group on the affected VMs to something else, then going to the network view and deleting the entries from there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tested to delete related records from VPX_NETWORK and VPX_ENTITY. After a server restarting, data come back....

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you looked at the host networking configuration?  Perhaps there is something leftover on a specific host.  You may be able to see what host these networks are on from the Networking Inventory View.

You could also try, changing the Port Group on the affected VMs to something else, then going to the network view and deleting the entries from there.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi bretti,

thanks for your reply.

In host networking configuration, these strange networks are not listed there.

There networks listed in Inventory - Networking, but cannot be deleted. Accessible is No, Hosts list are clean.

I'm not able to change the Port Group on the attected VMs coz these networks are not listed in property window.

0 Kudos
Eternal_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Get it.

The networks are included in snapshots.

After removing the affected snapshot, ghost networks disappeared.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nice work!

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Same problem, same fix.  Had me stumped!  Great job figuring it out.

0 Kudos
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This also fixed some ghost datastores I had showing, ISO files were connected in snapshots to NFS datastores that no longer existed.

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
gbuzioli
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi thehe.

I Had the same problem. Try to remove all snapshot from this host, if the problem continues, turn off the VM and edit the vmx file located in the datastore.

0 Kudos