VMware Cloud Community
alex2875
Contributor
Contributor

Strange behaviour of virtual machines taking all dhcp range free addresses esx 5.1

Hi to all, It happens to me a very strange thing on 2 esx servers (free edition) 5.1 version. On this servers there are a 2008 windows sever and a 2003 windows server. In the structure there'a a phisical domain controller that operate as dhcp.

the 2008 virtual servers in the esx have naturally a static ip address. Only 1 nic per server. But i continuously find the dhcp on the physical server full and alla addresses taken by the 2008 virtual server. Where can i search for this issue? In no one setting on the esx i've set dhcp for the lan...the machines are imported and not created directly in esx but they started to do this after many time they go correctly not when i import them...

thank you.

Alex.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To start with: How does the network configuration of the Windows 2008 server look like? Assuming you are using IPv4 only, did you disable IPv6?

André

0 Kudos
alex2875
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and ty. No ipv6 is on, i have w7 pc's and there's an Exchange server i can't disable it. The dhcp is only ipv4... I don't think ipv6 of the server is the cause. Or you mean in the configuration by the vsphere client of the esxi i've to disable ipv6?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since you said that all addresses were allocated by the Windows 2008 server, this looks like an issue of the guest. There's nothing on the ESXi host you can/need to configure for the Virtual Machine networks.

Regarding the lease times, is there something like a rule you can see (e.g. a new address leased each few minutes/hours)?

Did you check the Windows Event logs for related entries?

André

0 Kudos
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Exactly same was with be I reinstall NIC driver which is resolved my problem .

""You must not lose faith in    humanity".
0 Kudos
alex2875
Contributor
Contributor

I check logs but nothing of rilevant, i see jayden suggests me to reinstall driver of the nic but maybe it means reinstalli vmware tools isn't it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although I wouldn't rule out anything at this time, I don't think it's an issue with the current network driver nor the VMware Tools. What I could think of are some obsolete hardware related drivers/services which have not been removed after the conversion. You may also want to check the Device Manager - with Show Hidden Devices enabled - and delete any old network adapters.

André

0 Kudos