VMware Cloud Community
m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Strange behaviour of an Untangle Appliance VM

HI!

My ESXi 5.1 server Proliant DL 380 G5, hosts an Untangle 9.4 Appliance VM.

The VM has two network interfaces : the internal connected to vSwitch0 and the external connetcted to vSwitch 1 (that has a physical network card different from wich connected to vSwitch0 ).

All seems to works fine except this issue:

when I download a file from internet, it is downloaded to the full download speed available (about 400-500 kBps).

But, if I start a second file download, simultaneously to the first, I see that when the second download speed is about 350 kBps while the first drops drammatically to about 30-40 kbps.

The download speed in not equally reduced between the two files (I'll be expected 200-250 kbps for each file) and one is strongly reduced while the other not.

At this point I've shutted down the Appliance Untangle VM and connected to my LAN network a physical Untangle Appliance based on a server with less hardware resource than the virtual Untangle VM (less RAM, less CPU, etc...).

Repeating the same test I've seen results as I'll be expected: the downloads speed are reduced equally between the two files.

I've repeated many times the test with the same results.

At this point I thing that is anything ralated to the host ESXi and /or VM configuration.

I've tried, also, to set the vSwitch 0, 1 in "promiscuous mode" but the results where the same.

I've contacted UT support but he reject my request because thay don't support virtualizzation environments.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Did you try to download 3rd application ?

If not please create 3rd session and observe, I hope we need to follow hit & trial method over here.

0 Kudos
m4biz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry Jayden56,

I haven't well understood.

What is 3rd application?

Ing. Cosimo Mercuro http://cosimomercuro.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos