VMware Cloud Community
rsingolda
Contributor
Contributor

Strange behavior on VM Guest Machine - VMware 5.1U1

Hello

I have a strange behavior of my esx host.

When I expose LUN from the storage to the server hosts all working great. When I make a disconnection of the FC cable I get this message:

LUN1.JPG

I installed VMware 5.1 Update 1.

I don't think that this is a good behavior.

Any idea why this is happening????

4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi welcome to the communities,

what behaviour would you expect when you unplug the FC cable?

Any idea why this is happening????

Because you unplug the FC cable and have only one route to that LUN? Smiley Wink

zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think that this is a good behavior.

It is a good behavior rather than a Purple Screen Of Death which used to happen in earlier versions when single path is removed

0 Kudos
rsingolda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys

Thanks for the replay, but I think you didn't understand me. I will try to describe more.

Those are the steps that I did:

1. I installed new vm guest with server 2008 R2 on the local disk of the VM host.

2. I created a LUN on my storage and exposed it to the ESX server. (The esx server connected with FC)

3. I added a hard disk to the vm guest (server 2008 r2) with the "map raw device" configuration.

Everything working properly and wonderfully.

At the minute I disconnected the fiber cable to do a test, the vm guest goes to this state:

LUN.JPG

And I get this message:

LUN1.JPG

On this LUN I don't have any files on the OS system or something else.

The vm don't work!!!

Only if I will press the "Cancel" it will shut down the vm and I will need to remove the hard disk manually from the settings of the vm guest.

Then the vm guest will work properly.

The vm guest should still work even if the LUN is missing 

Think if this is an Exchange server with a couple of DB, some locally and some on the storage. If someone disconnects the FC by mistake so the Exchange server will stop working???? The company will not get emails???

Hope I explained more the issue.

Thanks

Raz

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, now I get you. You gave too little information in your first post Smiley Wink

First of all: get some FC redundancy. If you have multiple Paths available, a single link down will not stop your VM. And train your coworkers not to pull FC cables Smiley Wink

And if that doesn't help:

This "problem" is addressed in vSphere 5.5, where an option was introduced to automaticly remove PDL devices: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2059622

So an upgrade to 5.5 could be an option for you.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos