VMware Cloud Community
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strange TCP issues between Service Consoles

I was doing a packet capture of a network segment for an unrelated purpose, and observed a strange occurrence.

The IP associated with the Service Console of one of my hosts was having a very "incorrect" conversation with the SC of another host.

"Incorrect", you ask?

On a very regular basis, the one host would send a burst of 11 consecutive Duplicate ACKs, and then moments later a burst of 11 consecutive ACKs which were out of order (aka the sequence had carried on, and it was still trying to send the same ACKs).

There was a conversation carrying throughout these ACK spams, between the problematic host (host1) using TCP 8182, to the destination host (host2) using TCP 37770.

It doesn't appear to be causing any issues, and I could probably fix it by simply re-provisioning the host, but does anyone have any insight into the actual cause of this?  How likely do you guys think it is that this is NIC hardware related?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ekisner wrote:

between the problematic host (host1) using TCP 8182, to the destination host (host2) using TCP 37770.

If I remember correctly the tcp/8182 is used by the HA service. You could try to use "Re-configure HA" and see if it changes anything, but it might actually not be any problem.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ekisner wrote:

between the problematic host (host1) using TCP 8182, to the destination host (host2) using TCP 37770.

If I remember correctly the tcp/8182 is used by the HA service. You could try to use "Re-configure HA" and see if it changes anything, but it might actually not be any problem.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

It's not really causing any issues, so it isn't really a problem, but it is incorrect behavior - I like to nip those before they become problems.

I'll go run another packet capture this afternoon, and we'll see if that solves this issue.

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirmed, that did indeed resolve the issue.  I'm seeing regular HA traffic now, but nothing strange.

0 Kudos