VMware Cloud Community
damomo
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion with option to overwrite the destination disk?

I have a use case where I'm overwrite a .vmdk. I am starting a storage vmotion from an external source into the vcenter. When I attempt the storage vMotion I currently get this:-

Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder ds:///vmfs/volumes/XXXX.vmdk already exists

Is there a way in storage vmotion to specify to overwrite the destination disk rather than fail. If not I will have to explore ways to rename disks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Just a quick question - can you perhaps expand on what you mean by "Storage vMotion from an external source"? What is this external source that you are copying to vCenter from?

When using Storage vMotion, if the datastore contains a folder with the same name then a new folder is created suffixed with _x (where x is a number). This means there is no requirement to overwrite the data.

Cannot complete the operation because the file or folder ds:///vmfs/volumes/XXXX.vmdk already exists

Can you also confirm the above message because normally you would go into a folder based on the VMs name, i.e. ds://vmfs/volumes/MyServer/

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
damomo
Contributor
Contributor

The external source is a NAS mountpoint, exposed as a datastore mounted on the vm. ThompsG

I specifically need the overwrite behavior akin to downloading a file with same name overwrites the first one(after potentially a prompt).

I hope it makes sense.

0 Kudos