VMware Cloud Community
P8119L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Hello,

Will storage vMotion move the vmdk files [in 2 different folders on the same datastore at the moment] into the same folder while migrated into the different datastore?

Why the vmdk files are in 2 different folders:

Windows 2008r2 was misconfigured badly so while rebooting it was going to the System Recovery. Wasn't able to recover the system.

The system was rebuilt and 2 drives 😧 & E: were attached ["Use an existing virtual disk"] as existing vmdk drives to the new VM.

So drive C: vmdk [rebuilt VM] file is in new-vm-folder & drives 😧 & E vmdk files are in old-vm-folder.

So "Will storage vMotion move the vmdk files [in 2 different folders on the same datastore at the moment] into the same folder while migrated into the different datastore?" I know that storage vMotion and re-naming files/folders works well.

If not what would be the best practice to get is sorted?

Many thanks,

Pawel

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - yes it will. The other option would be to power down the VM and cold migrate the VM to the correct datastore.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - yes it will. The other option would be to power down the VM and cold migrate the VM to the correct datastore.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes it will move the vmdks to the single datastore, and to answer your clarification

Why the vmdk files are in 2 different folders:..?

The VM might have been deployed with a single Harddisk ( VMDK) and later someone taught let me add another harddisk and put it on a different data store.. So two vmdks,.

or another possibility. you can also move individual  vmdk's to different datastore using the advanced option in storage vmotion, may be that was used.!!

0 Kudos
P8119L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you 🙂

Regards,

Pawel

0 Kudos
P8119L
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Avinash21,

Thanks for your reply. I have already explained the reason in my post.

Regards,

Pawel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

apologies for the same. was doing some other work and did not go through completely..

0 Kudos