ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Posted Sep 06, 2013 03:20 PM

Hello,

Will storage vMotion move the vmdk files [in 2 different folders on the same datastore at the moment] into the same folder while migrated into the different datastore?

Why the vmdk files are in 2 different folders:

Windows 2008r2 was misconfigured badly so while rebooting it was going to the System Recovery. Wasn't able to recover the system.

The system was rebuilt and 2 drives D: & E: were attached ["Use an existing virtual disk"] as existing vmdk drives to the new VM.

So drive C: vmdk [rebuilt VM] file is in new-vm-folder & drives D: & E vmdk files are in old-vm-folder.

So "Will storage vMotion move the vmdk files [in 2 different folders on the same datastore at the moment] into the same folder while migrated into the different datastore?" I know that storage vMotion and re-naming files/folders works well.

If not what would be the best practice to get is sorted?

Many thanks,

Pawel

• 2.  RE: Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 06, 2013 06:01 PM

Welcome to the Community - yes it will. The other option would be to power down the VM and cold migrate the VM to the correct datastore.

• 3.  RE: Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Posted Sep 06, 2013 09:04 PM

yes it will move the vmdks to the single datastore, and to answer your clarification

Why the vmdk files are in 2 different folders:..?

The VM might have been deployed with a single Harddisk ( VMDK) and later someone taught let me add another harddisk and put it on a different data store.. So two vmdks,.

or another possibility. you can also move individual  vmdk's to different datastore using the advanced option in storage vmotion, may be that was used.!!

• 4.  RE: Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Posted Sep 07, 2013 10:19 AM

Avinash21,

Thanks for your reply. I have already explained the reason in my post.

Regards,

Pawel

• 5.  RE: Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Posted Sep 08, 2013 12:16 AM

apologies for the same. was doing some other work and did not go through completely..

• 6.  RE: Storage vMotion + vmdk files in different folders

Posted Sep 07, 2013 10:16 AM

Thank you :-)

Regards,

Pawel