VMware Cloud Community
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Hi All,

We have got two implementations of VMware having ESXi Standard Edition licenses installed at both site.One site has vCenter Server Foundation edition while other has vCenter Server Standard Edition.

The issue is that the site with vCenter Std and vSphere 5 Std doenst allow the storage vMotion(Please see below image)

No Storage VMotion.jpg

While on the other hand site with vCenter Foundation and vSphere 5 Stnd allows storage Vmotion(Please see below image)

Storage VMotion.jpg

Why is it so that vSphere Stndard edtion is presenting different features at different sites?

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had Logged the Call and found the solution....Actually vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 gives different set of features with the same vSphere Std License.   Have a look at below link for options available with vSphere 5.0 and 51.

1-Compare vSphere 5.0 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions for Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

2-Compare vSphere 5.1 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions: Managed Virtualization & Cloud Computing

For a test purpose i used the same Standard edition key on server with 5.1 installed at it worked fine with Storage vMotion Option available 🙂

Regards, Khurram Shahzad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
srikanthraavi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Please check below link

http://www.vmware.com/in/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-editions.html

Regards

Srikanth

0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So question is y Storage vMotion is not available with vSphere Std Edition when managed by vCenter Server Std Edition.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still Waiting for you advice please!

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The features are based on the ESXi licences and not on vCenter license. And with vCenter foundation the limit is to manage only 3 hosts.

Have you tried calling up the Vmware support? look like some problem with the keys

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK I will log a case but just for information as soon as i assign vSphere Enterprise license to host the Storage vMotion option becomes available in same setup.

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The feature gets unlocked based on the license keys.. I think the problem is only with the license keys which you used

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it looks like the problem is with license keys. Contact VMware licensing support team to get this resolved.

itsexe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had Logged the Call and found the solution....Actually vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 gives different set of features with the same vSphere Std License.   Have a look at below link for options available with vSphere 5.0 and 51.

1-Compare vSphere 5.0 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions for Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

2-Compare vSphere 5.1 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions: Managed Virtualization & Cloud Computing

For a test purpose i used the same Standard edition key on server with 5.1 installed at it worked fine with Storage vMotion Option available 🙂

Regards, Khurram Shahzad
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update!!

0 Kudos