ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 27, 2013 03:59 PM

Hi All,

We have got two implementations of VMware having ESXi Standard Edition licenses installed at both site.One site has vCenter Server Foundation edition while other has vCenter Server Standard Edition.

The issue is that the site with vCenter Std and vSphere 5 Std doenst allow the storage vMotion(Please see below image)

While on the other hand site with vCenter Foundation and vSphere 5 Stnd allows storage Vmotion(Please see below image)

Why is it so that vSphere Stndard edtion is presenting different features at different sites?

• 2.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 27, 2013 04:19 PM

Hi

Please check below link

http://www.vmware.com/in/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-editions.html

Regards

Srikanth

• 3.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 27, 2013 04:27 PM

So question is y Storage vMotion is not available with vSphere Std Edition when managed by vCenter Server Std Edition.

• 4.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 28, 2013 06:48 AM

Still Waiting for you advice please!

• 5.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 28, 2013 01:14 PM

The features are based on the ESXi licences and not on vCenter license. And with vCenter foundation the limit is to manage only 3 hosts.

Have you tried calling up the Vmware support? look like some problem with the keys

• 6.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 28, 2013 01:43 PM

OK I will log a case but just for information as soon as i assign vSphere Enterprise license to host the Storage vMotion option becomes available in same setup.

• 7.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 29, 2013 04:08 AM

The feature gets unlocked based on the license keys.. I think the problem is only with the license keys which you used

• 8.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 29, 2013 05:09 AM

Yes it looks like the problem is with license keys. Contact VMware licensing support team to get this resolved.

• 9.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2013 08:50 AM

I had Logged the Call and found the solution....Actually vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 gives different set of features with the same vSphere Std License.   Have a look at below link for options available with vSphere 5.0 and 51.

1-Compare vSphere 5.0 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions for Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

2-Compare vSphere 5.1 Editions

Compare VMware vSphere Editions: Managed Virtualization & Cloud Computing

For a test purpose i used the same Standard edition key on server with 5.1 installed at it worked fine with Storage vMotion Option available :-)

• 10.  RE: Storage vMotion possible with ESXi Std Edt or not?

Posted Jul 30, 2013 10:36 AM

Thanks for the update!!