VMware Cloud Community
chriscowley
Contributor
Contributor

Storage vMotion fails at 27%

I have a small 2 host cluster that started with local storage only. When I try and storage vmotion machines from 1 of the hosts to the SAN it times out at 27%. Other host works perfectly.

I can do a vmkping across my vMotion network between the 2 hosts, so I know they are communicating.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Can you attached the vmkernel.log file, located at /var/log/on the ESXi host.

Check this kb : VMware KB: Storage vMotion fails with the error: Failed to copy one or more disks

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

What about Storage IOPS ?

please share log file .

0 Kudos
corvettefisher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ensure that storage DRS is not interfering with anything, ensure proper space and I/O is available for the connection, and ensure no static mapping (such as an RDM) is present.

0 Kudos
Kapil84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

A virtual machine and its host must meet resource and configuration requirements for the virtual machine disks to be migrated with Storage vMotion.

1. Virtual machine disks must be in persistent mode or be raw device mappings (RDMs). For virtual compatibility mode RDMs, you can migrate the mapping file or convert to thick-provisioned or thin-provisioned disks during migration as long as the destination is not an NFS datastore. If you convert the mapping file, a new virtual disk is created and the contents of the mapped LUN are copied to this disk. For physical compatibility mode RDMs, you can migrate the mapping file only.
  2. Migration of virtual machines during VMware Tools installation is not supported.
  3. The host on which the virtual machine is running must have a license that includes Storage vMotion.
  4. ESX/ESXi 3.5 hosts must be licensed and configured for vMotion. ESX/ESXi 4.0 and later hosts do not require vMotion configuration in order to perform migration with Storage vMotion.
  5. The host on which the virtual machine is running must have access to both the source and target datastores.

Regards,

KB

0 Kudos