VMware Cloud Community
klancy43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Storage vMotion a powered-off VM?

excuse me, 

does anyone have experience on cold migration of VM from a datastore to another?

the storage vmotion allows VM to be migrated to another storage in a running state, so the related license is required.

But what about the minimum requirement when migrating a VM from a datastore to another one(only the storage changes)?

does vmotion kernel still necessary?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Only vmkernel necessary , if you disabled vmotion protogroup too only storage vmotion continue work.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Only vmkernel necessary , if you disabled vmotion protogroup too only storage vmotion continue work.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
0 Kudos
Arvind_Kumar11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup, vmotion kernel is necessary even for powered off VM

0 Kudos
hadjer1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes, as the other contributers said, you need a vMotion vmkernel. However, you don't need to create one, you can activate vMotion service on another vmkernel such as the managment vmkernel.

Regards,

Kodus if you find my answer useful.

0 Kudos
nblr06
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not sure whether migrating powered-off VM between storages requires an advanced level of license or not.

But vMotion vmkernel will be used.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello @klancy43,

Actually when you are moving a powered-off VM it is considered as Cold Migration and that traffic by default goes over the Management VMkernel or the Provisioning one in case you have one configured. This is well explained on the last section of this page: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc/GUID-98C18721-A4B0-...

Also, if you want to see it real time, you can connect to the ESXi where the VM is, run "esxtop" and then press "n" to see where the traffic is going.

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

for only storage vmotion, no need vmotion port group/vmkernel 

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
0 Kudos