VMware Cloud Community
lurch89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Storage configuration with Adaptec 3805 & Free License

We have a new server with an Adaptec 3805 8-port SATA RAID controller. We have another server with a 5805 that works just fine. We have 8x 1TB drives, configured as 4x 2TB RAID0 arrays. When I go to add the arrays as datastores, I seem to only be able to add 1 2TB datastore. Every time I choose the next array, it overwrites the configuration for the first one. Is this a limitation of the free license? or is there something wrong with my controller.

Anyone having similar problems?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Arrays can only be 2TB minus 512b You will need to make the arrays just a little smaller.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
lurch89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The arrays actually show up as 1.82TB in ESXi4. The now confusing thing is that the arrays disappeared. I was able to add two of them when I went back to the evaluation license, but now under the free license, the two arrays have disappeared.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would recreate the arrays and make them smaller than 2 TB.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
lurch89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They are also less than 2TB in hardware (Adaptec BIOS utility).

0 Kudos
lurch89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alright, now this is getting annoying. It seems that it keeps overwriting something in the storage configuration. We can add the first datastore, and then when we try and add a second datastore, ESXi says that this new untouched RAID0 array already has a partition on it and it will be deleted. It seems like it just keeps pointing back to the original array, even though I select a different one.

More evidence to me that it's licensing is the message that appears when you update your license from evaluation to free:

License downgrade: license code redacted removes the following features: das, dr, drs,dvfilter, dvs, esxHost, ft, hostprofile, hotplug,mpio, svmotion, vmotion, vmsafe, vshield,vsmp:8, vstorage warning 7/1/2009 7:30:05 AM root

Notice that DAS is removed, which would be "direct attached storage" if I'm not mistaken. Under the free license, anyone know the restrictions for storage?

0 Kudos
nicodr
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having lots of troubles with an Adaptec 3805 on ESXi 4. I can create a datastore on it (haven't tried with 2) but when I try to use the datastore it dissapears. I think there is a bug in the driver for the 3805. I've used an 'unsupported' 2420SA without problems.

0 Kudos