VMware Cloud Community
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Storage Migration Issues with Single VM

I have a single VM in my 6.x cluster that is having a storage migration issue. If I try to migrate it to any other datastore I get "cannot complete the file creation operation" which basically gives me no results and I have not been able to locate any of the host or vcenter logs that will tell what is actually failing. Migrated 20 other VMs without issues and migrated a different vm to the tiered datastore I want this VM on. I also tried moving it to just a straight 15k datastore with the same error. i have not been able to get a maintenance window so I can power the VM off and see if I can migrate it cold. I've migrated it to different hosts in my cluster and get the same errors. The VM snapshots and consolidates fine and appears to do just about every other storage related activity like normal and has no irregular performance.

HP Gen9 blades with 3PAR storage over FC. Using the custom ISO and all that Jazz. I have a bunch of 6.x host environments with no issues. Definitely a problem with the VM.

Doug

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the issue lies in damaged VM files. I'm going to have to rebuild the VM.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I remember an old issue which I thought has since been resolved but is there any chance you have multiple vmdks on different volumes for this VM and two of them have the same name?

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Unfortunately not that easy. I remember the issue you were talking about. I did verify each VMDK has a different name. ONe VMDK has _1_1 in the name but migrating everything but that disk has the same error. I also tried to migrate each VMDK by itself. I tried just migrating the configuration files as well and all of them generate the same error.

I'm working on getting a maintenance window to try a cold migration. I also plan on unregistering the VM and just moving the folder of files if a normal cold migration doesn't work. I renamed the VM before trying the migration and also tried changing the name back. Same error.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Unfortunately the issue lies in damaged VM files. I'm going to have to rebuild the VM.

0 Kudos