VMware Cloud Community
Classic766
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Help

We had our Raid controller to go bad on Our server so we change the controller & recreate the raid Array .Unfortunately we have lost the configuration (Raid 10 ) so we recreated it , When the server came back one of the LUN-0 was recognized with existing Signature but it's empty the Second LUN-1 came back without problems and all Files vd can be access .

How can we recover or restore information on first LUN-0

System Info

Intel Raid Controller:

4x 2 tb HD

Raid1 +Raid1 @ Raid 0 = RAID 10

Split into Two 1818 volumes

Assuming

Volume 1 = LUN-0

Volume 2 = LUN1

Greg D

0 Kudos
6 Replies
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your case you replaced RAID Controller and recreated "RAID Metadata - without initilize / format the acutal data"

But Replacement of RAID Controller will cause the UUID mismatch of Virtual Disks..

Below KB's should help you to resolve.. I used KB 1011387 (After replacing my PERC RAID card on Dell server - to solve your kind of problem)

Hope you have backup..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1011387

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1005751

Regards - Purna

If it helps --> Please award points - as appropriate - "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
Classic766
Contributor
Contributor

No i think i found an issue because i tried to recreate the lun i misakenly created new lun with block size 1 instead of 8 now it sees it as

1 MB- 256 GB and supposed to be 8 MB- 2 TB how can i change that without formating the wolume?
GD
0 Kudos
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are not supposed to change Block size of VMFS file system - while data exists on it..

If done so - We loose the data on it..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356...

To recreate a datastore with a different block size

The block  size on a datastore cannot be automatically changed as it is a file  system property that can only be specified when the datastore is  initially created.

The only way to increase the block size  is to move all data off the datastore and recreate it with the larger  block size. The preferred method of recreating the datastore is from a  console or SSH session, as you can simply recreate the file system  without having to make any changes to the disk partition.

Note:  All data on a VMFS volume is lost when the datastore is recreated.  Migrate or move all virtual machines and other data to another  datastore. Back up all data before proceeding.

0 Kudos
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After RAID (meta data re-creation) - you Should have data..

Instead of LUN Recreate (VMFS - recreate with wrong or right block size) - we should have done re-signature on VMFS as per above KB to recover data.

Regards - Purna

0 Kudos
Classic766
Contributor
Contributor

So what would be the best solution now to recover the data?

Growing a local datastore or change disk partition format without reformat?

0 Kudos
LuigiC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That document says that it recreated the filesystem.  Yep, restore is the only way to go.

0 Kudos