VMware Cloud Community
dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Storage-Hard Drive Installation

I am new to VMWare and recently added two 146GB hard drives on our HP Smart Array P400 controller which is running ESXI 5.0.   I have expanded this and extended on our controller.   I need to be able for this to show up on our datastore which it isn't and then need to provision them out to a couple different servers.   Could someone help me out or point me in the right direction?   Thanks for your help!.

Derrick

14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Follow this KB : it might need an increase

VMware KB: Growing or expanding a VMFS volume or datastore

Let me know if this does not help.,

Thanks,
Avinash

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you add more space on the storage side it will not show up on the datastore. You need to go to your Host---->Configuration---Right click the datastore you need to expand---->Increase. And the added space will show up there which can be expanded.

expand1.jpg

expand2.jpg

expand3.jpg

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help, I will look into that.

0 Kudos
dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to take this offline to make these changes?   These are in production.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No you can do it on the fly. Do it after hours to avoid any issues.

If you found the answer useful, consider awarding points by choosing correct/helpful answer Smiley Happy

Abhilash B

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I may be wrong, but increasing the datastore on the installation disk isn't supported as far as I know. From what I understood you expanded the logical volume rather than creating a second one on the additional disk space in the RAID set!? What may work is to increase the size from the command line.

André

dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

I will do this as soon as I get through doing the steps, I may have more questions, but both have helped so far.  Smiley Happy  Much appreciative!

0 Kudos
dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Then I would go to each server and hand out the necessary hd space?

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If it's individually provisioned, yes. If it's shared storage you will have to do it on one and rescan on other's. But in your case I don't think it's shared.

Abhilash B

dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Here is our setup.

VM.png

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

as per your set-up If you have increased the size then you should be able to see the Increases size on the storage adapters after a rescan.

Once you see the increases thane your could increase the datatsore.

dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

After the 2nd screenshot that you sent, I tried to see if it would find my device and I didn't see the Local VMware disk as it did on the 2nd screen, any thoughts?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you see my previos post? To see what's required to increase the local datastore take a look at VMware KB: Growing a local datastore from the command line in vSphere ESXi 4.x and 5.x. I'd strongly recommend you backup the VM's prior to running the commands which modify the partition/datastore! If you are unsure, please don't hesitate to ask.

André

dleggett811
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your help.   I apologize for not getting back, I had three other projects going on at the same time that I am heavily involved in.    I was able to finally get it added.   I ended up having to use a.p.'s last post using the command line to accomplish this.   Once it saw it there I was able to provision it out to other servers.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos