VMware Cloud Community
De1taE1even
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Devices lock up after a while

I really hope someone can help me with a serious problem I’m having with one of my ESXi servers.  Everything will be running fine for a while, then without any trigger I can find, the server will lock up its storage device.  Selecting the “devices” tab on the ESXi UI just sticks on a loading bar.  Trying to ls -l on the machine itself from within /vmfs/volumes/ just hangs.  Existing VMs amazingly continue to function, but any operations on them fail.  Stop/Start/etc.  The only way I’ve found to fix this issue is to reboot the entire machine.  For reference, this is an Asus RS400-E8-PS2, and the only storage I have in there are 2 Ironwolf 125 NAS SSDs running directly connected, no RAID config or anything like that.

I realize the Asus server was only certified for ESXi 6, and I'm running 7u2, but the underlying components are certified, so I'm hoping to get some help anyways.  I really wish it wasn’t an Asus, but that server got bought before I was with the company.  We ran out of VM space so I bought a Dell 730, and decided to migrate to ESXi because I dislike VirtualBox, which is what they were running previously.  Now I’m getting pressure from my boss about not buying the vSphere license if I can’t get this figured out which is really disappointing because I like vSphere so much more than VB.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
UsernameJon
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like a driver issue, is the OS also installed on these drives or can you pull them out and run the same tests?

De1taE1even
Contributor
Contributor

The OS is on a USB stick, but all VMs utilize these 2 drives, so it'd be hard to test much without any VMs running.  I'd love to still give it a shot but unfortunately it can take days for the issue to reproduce.

0 Kudos